Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Deja vu

I'm experiencing some of the same joys and struggles that I faced after Joshua was born. (not that there aren't a bunch of new worries being a mommy of two.).

I find myself looking back... Breast feeding isn't always easy. I've got the milk but figuring out our chemistry and cooperation can take a few days and some days are better than others.

Silas, after coming home from the hospital (similar to Joshua) did not poop the entire first day. Sure he was eating, but who really knows how much? His eyes started yellowing and I knew I needed to come up with a plan.

Since I was already planning on pumping, I started nursing then "capping off" with some milk I had pumped.

I remember the feelings of failure and frustration. I've doubted my ability to keep at it.

Right now the feeding process takes roughly an hour. We struggle for about 20min on each slide. Suck...suck...sleep... Repeat...
Then I pump. So I'm spending almost every other hour feeding.

Bottle feeding breast milk is the next best option. I need to feel like that may be the best I can do. And if that's the best it's not failure.

Joshua and I struggled, but found our rhythm. I need patience.

1 comment:

  1. Feeding your baby period, breast/bottle/formula is the best. You are not failing, not even one tiny bit!! It takes time and patience which is so not on your side when your tired and frustrated and worried and responsible for this tiny little guy, but... I know you guys will find your rhythm, you will and when you do these few "hard" days will no longer seem so hard... He'll get it, I promise!! (Maybe turn thumper on during nursing times??)

    If you need anything, I'm just a text away.

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete