Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 1 Summer 2012: A Day in the Life

In my mind I started counting summer break today.

We began the day with cereal (a recent independence success.)
After we had our breakfast and got dressed. Joshua decided that he was going to wear undies.
Hooray for wearing undies... this is where they go right?
When the clothes were all in their appropriate places we went for a walk. 
Surprisingly, Joshua opted for walking versus the stroller. He's usually a stroller man. As we walked Joshua commented on everything. Cars. Bugs. Bird singing... The list goes on... 

I was encouraging him to walk to the playground so we could go down the slide a time or two. It is nice to have a destination for this inquisitive young man. Walking all the way there proved to be more of a challenge than I expected. 

That's when I came up with a treasure hunt. Joshua knows and is usually good about not picking plants. He does however pick up pieces of plants that have fallen (ie, flower petals, leaves) Our treasure hunt was finding fallen leaves. 

The leaves were taken home and turned into a "project." For some reason if any craft has turned into a "project." Today's project was crayon rubbing the leaves and painting them to make prints. 



Lunch was a Muffin Tin Monday featuring: turkey, tomatoes, carrots, cheese, goldfish crackers, and hard boiled eggs. Hard boiled eggs were a new experience and did NOT go over well. 
But we thanked him for trying it. 

Our day continued with a story before nap. It was a new Dr. Seuss for me, but I enjoyed it. I received it as part of a collection from one of my students. 
i-wish-that-i-had-duck-feet.jpg
Maybe tomorrow we will do some sort or "project" with ducks or duck feet. We will see. 

Napping Time is Happy Time:

Michael took this picture and labeled it "synchronized sleeping."
I'm not sure if we over did it in the morning, but Joshua must have been tired. He took a 3+ hour nap, but was ready for playing when he awoke!


Just staying safe...
Most of the time between nap and supper was spent doing one of Joshua's favorite things; Playing Pirates!

He begged for an eye-patch. Some black construction paper and some 'sticky tape' did the trick, but he needed to check it out in the mirror. 
"Got a little Captain in you?"
Our best pirate faces before our sword fight. 
The daddy made supper and we ate together. Then the boys went to play while I cleaned up the kitchen. I did muse to Michael that it was kind of nice to have somewhat of a routine established. 
I say that knowing that in the coming days any bits of what we have established may all be changed by the newest Schottey.

When the kitchen was clean it was time to clean the little boy. Like a broken record: I love watching my son play in the bath tub! I asked him for a quick "cheese" before he got out and oh the cheese I was given!


We cleaned up the toys and had some Monkey Business before bedtime. 
(banana ice cream, graham crackers, and chocolate chunks)

Love and Logic moment during while brushing teeth: 
"We have time for two books tonight. Hurry with hand washing so we can read two books!"
waiting...
waiting...
"(mumbled grouchy response)"
"Joshua, as soon as you're finished, you're welcome to choose your books."
still in bathroom
I carried him out. He was told now we would only be able to read one.


He chose his book and climbed into bed. It was a book with multiple stories. He chose and one and I read it. I did give him a chance to look through the entire book. 

"Momma, what all these words say?"
"I would have loved to read another story tonight. I love our book time. But, because you took so long in the bathroom, I could only read one story. That's kind of sad isn't it?"
"Yeah. Really REALLY Sad!"

We probably spent just as much time as another story singing songs and talking about the day, but that wasn't the point. 
We closed the day rejoicing in his triumphant accident-free, dry undies day said prayers gave kisses and hugs and said our goodnights.

So far, Summer Break has been delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment