Sunday, December 11, 2011

2 Spoons Happy

Saturday night after supper Joshua and I shared a cup of ice cream. We had one cup and 2 spoons. He waited and watch excitedly as I found the scooper and spooned the ice cream.  It was fun to watch him try to scoop it out of the cup.

Earlier in the day we had fun by:
Playing in his room.
Reading books.
Watching Charlie Brown Christmas.
Singing Christmas songs like "Go, Tell it on the Mountain, and Jingle Bells."

Before we dug into our ice cream we said cheers and clinked spoons, and said "cheers!"


I wanted to be happy, and enjoying the moment rather than thinking about the other things we could have been doing. Our town had a Starlight Parade, lighting of the Christmas Lights, and a 15 foot snow globe with artificial snow. I wanted to go. I will admit in my mind the things that were happening were pretty childish! I wanted to be making fun family memories doing "Christmas-y things." So part of me was pouting about not going. I think the personal expectations that are put on the holidays are too stressful. I set up in my mind all sorts of ideas about how things "should" go.

My son was completely content, more than that, HAPPY to be home sharing ice cream, toys, books, movies and songswith me. That is what I will cling to.

No comments:

Post a Comment