Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Makes Me Happy

1/5/16


One of the reasons that I became a teacher is because I wasn't a strong reader growing up.
 I get sweaty palms just thinking about my elementary school days being called on to read. If I could plan ahead I would rush to the paragraph or sentence to quickly practice reading to myself before I needed to do it aloud. All the way back in second grade I can remember being partnered with one of the strongest readers in the class and feeling like a fool. On weekends I would read into a tape recorder to listen to myself. I would rewind and record again until my fluency would come close to my high performing friends. In high school, I would occasionally succumb to osmosis theory (the only thing it would hurt was my neck right?)

I wanted to be able to teach others to read at the most basic level creating a solid foundation for all the reading that would follow. 

I love the lightbulb moments that happen in my classroom. 

I cherish the sharing favorite books from childhood with my son. Tonight he begged to keep reading "Let me just finish this chapter" as he frantically turned to see how many pages were left. His love of reading makes me happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment