Saturday, May 11, 2013

I do that too!

I haven't had a teacher post in a while. I still do it! This week we did one if my favorite projects.

As part of our unit on things that grow we talk about fruits and veggies. Where so they come from? Do they grow in the ground or above it? What do they look like on the inside? What do they need to grow? How do they compare with other fruits and veggies?

On the first day of the project we classify where the food grows then we put them on a scale. With the scale we talk about heavier, lighter, and balancing. We make predictions about whether a beet or a potato will be heavier. Talking about fruits and veggies with students who may never have seen a veggie besides a baby carrot is great! They want to touch and smell it!
(A whole carrot and 3 strawberries weigh the same as a yellow squash)

On the second day my kids watched as I cut the fruits and veggies in half. When I share with them the secret star that hides in an apple I feel like a magician! The "oooo" and "ahhhh" of seeing the inside of a pepper or the seeds of a grapefruit are terrific! After they are cut we make prints with the food. Painting is great, but painting with food, Marvelous!!!

Doing it this year brought a little sadness. My call has changed. This is my last year in preschool. I'm moving up. Instead of my 2 sessions of preschool with 40 children in the main building, I'm moving to a portable to teach 1 group of 26 kindergarteners. After 3 years in preschool I feel like I'm just finding a good groove, but I'm excited for the opportunities that kindergarten will bring. Most of the students had me this year. They know me and my style I know them and instead of our measly 3 hours we will have 7 quality learning hours together for me to give them as much as they can soak up. It will be wonderful!



No comments:

Post a Comment